The goal of NGMC’s Inpatient Medical Rehabilitation Program is to help the people we serve become as independent as possible for a safe and successful return to home.
Why Choose NGMC Inpatient Rehabilitation
Our studies show that nearly 100% of NGMC Inpatient Rehabilitation Patients felt their health improved after discharge and would recommend NGMC to family and friends. Here are some reasons why:
Expert Inpatient Rehabilitation team:
- Our therapists (PT, OT and SLP) average over 16 years of experience.
- Certified rehabilitation nurses (CRRN) lead our team.
- Our unit is led by two dedicated physicians who specialize in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (physiatrists) supported by two on-site nurse practitioners.
- We have a full emergency response team on site.
- The inpatient medical rehabilitation unit of NGMC has dedicated nurses and therapists.
- We provide specialized nursing care on site, such as hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, CAPD, CCPD, tracheostomy care, TPN, blood and blood products administration, central venous therapy, post-cardiac services such as LifeVest and LVAD, wound care, and specialized spinal cord education for patients and families.
We are one of the first 20 in the nation to receive the Stroke Specialty Certification from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Patient & family education after discharge is a major part of what we do. We help teach and reinforce techniques for a smooth transition to home. Research has found a correlation between patient support involvement and success once patients leave the hospital. The patient sets goals with our staff and periodic updates are given to the patient and family.
Our outcomes are measured and compared to regional and national data to ensure we maintain state-of-the-art treatment.
Click the links below for more detailed information about our outcomes and the people we serve:
Program Features & Services
- Our 24-bed inpatient unit is located inside Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) Gainesville.
- The NGMC Inpatient dedicated unit features an inpatient medical rehab floor with a gym and treatment space.
- We provide specialized care on-site such as thrombectomies, tPA administration, open heart surgeries, hemodialysis, etc.
Northeast Georgia Medical Center Gainesville has been accredited as a Primary Stroke Center since 2010, demonstrating our commitment to excellence in stroke care. It was the first hospital in the state of Georgia to gain this accreditation from DNV Healthcare. In 2020, NGMC Barrow and NGMC Braselton were also accredited as Primary Stroke Centers.
- Must be 15 years of age or older.
- Functional loss that would require the treatment of at least two of the following therapies: physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech- language pathology
- The ability to actively participate in our intensive program of therapies, which is scheduled at a minimum of 3 hours per day, 5 days per week
- A medical condition or conditions that would require close monitoring and management by our medical team led by a physiatrist (a physician who specializes in rehabilitation medicine) and rehabilitation nursing
- Have a support system of family, friends and/or caregivers who would aid in the safe transition from rehab to home
The Inpatient Medical Rehabilitation Unit’s patient selection process seeks to represent the cultural diversity of our service area.
Our outcomes are measured and compared to national data to ensure we maintain state-of-the-art treatment.
The Care Tool measures broad areas of mobility and self-care over 24 functional activities. We measure a patient’s functional ability at admission, at discharge and then after discharge. This is a tool used nationally and allows us to compare our services to the best facilities in the nation.
We stand ready to be your post-acute provider of choice throughout Northeast Georgia, Northwest South Carolina and Southwest North Carolina. We accept Medicaid coverage for Hall, Dawson, Banks, Barrow, Forsyth, Habersham, Jackson, Lumpkin, Rabun, Stephens, Towns Union, White and Gwinnett (zip codes 30515, 30518 and 30519) county residents.
Fees, deductibles, and out-of-pocket maximums differ for every patient, depending on specific insurance plans and program services provided, and amounts already applied to out-of-pocket costs in the current calendar year. For guidance on your benefits, please contact our admissions department at 770-219-1932.
Referring a Patient
To make a referral or for more information, call 770-219-1932. If the patient meets the admission criteria, arrangements for admission will be coordinated with the referral source. If the patient does not meet admission criteria, the coordinator will make alternative recommendations.